When you prepare to build your deck in Ogden Utah, your choice of decking material will affect your budget. It will also determine your deck’s appearance as some of the materials are more appealing than others.
Though every decking material is popular in its own way, wood is a popular decking option to most people. Several factors will come into play when choosing the right wood for your deck such. Some of these are the cost, durability, maintenance, and even the aesthetic appeal of the wood.
Here are some of the factors you need to consider when choosing the right wood for your deck:
You should choose timber that will match with your pocket since the timber varies in price. Exotic hardwoods can be more expensive while treated pine is highly affordable.
Consider the aging of the timber and its durability to avoid economizing the cost on short term hence ending up by paying extra in the long term.
You should find out the maintenance needed for the timber that you have chosen. Some timbers needs a lot of maintenance which is quite expensive while others will require less. For instance, pressure treated wood needs refinishing after every few years to make them look good.
Find out which timbers gives you the look that you want. Timbers ranges in colors and grain and you not only build the deck for its job but you need to make it looks good even when doing its job.
While deciding the best timber to use, consider the purpose of the deck. When building a front yard deck, consider the sun rays and if it’s a pool deck consider the proximity to the water and also how strong the deck will be.
To help you choose the right wood among the different types of wood, here is a detailed comparison:
Types of wood you can use in building your deck
This type of wood is made from a mixture of plastic material and wood particles. It has the look of the regular would and could have a hollow part or solid. The mixing of wood and plastic makes composite decks more expensive and easier to maintain than natural wood.
- Requires less maintenance than actual wood
- Resistant to pests infestation
- They do not easily splinter or crack
- Does not require constant sanding and refinishing
- Available in multiple color and designs
- Environmentally friendly as recycled materials are the main component
- More expensive than wood
- Though they look like wood, they are not natural
- They fade over time if exposed to direct sunlight
- There is a possibility of mildew growth
If your budget is big enough, you can choose to build your deck using hardwood. The end result will be a classy deck that will require less maintenance.
- Your deck will have a classy look
- Easy to vacuum and mop when dirty
- With periodic finishing, you will be able to maintain a beautiful deck for a longer time
- Resistant to rotting and pest infestation
- Very expensive to purchase
- It will be more difficult to work with hardwood due to its dense nature
- It will take more time to build a deck using hardwood
- Hardwood fades over time and you’ll need to refinish it restore its appeal
This is the cheapest type of wood for building your deck in Ogden Utah. According to the available statistics, 75% of the decks in Ogden are made of pressure-treated wood.
- Easy to work with as you’ll easily drive nails and screws into the wood
- Costs less compared to other deck building materials
- It has a beautiful look
- Resistant to rotting, fungi, and pests such as termites
- Requires a lot of maintenance as it can easily crack, split or warp. Though the cost of buying pressure-treated wood is low, the high maintenance cost makes it an expensive material for building a deck.
- You’ll need to periodically apply preservatives to protect the deck from getting damaged.
Softwood is one of the most attractive materials for building your deck. The wood is resistant to pests and molds and will, therefore, not require chemical treatment.
There are different types of softwood and you need to know the one you really want for your deck:
Heartwood: is made from the central part of the tree and due to the high content of tannin and oil it is resistant to rotting and pests infestation. You will not find any defect with this type of softwood.
Sapwood: this softwood type is made from the outer layers of a younger tree. The cost is much less but its soft nature makes it have a lower resistance to decay.
Streaked wood: this softwood type is neither too soft nor too hard and the cost is moderate as well. Most people choose this type of softwood as it is of good quality and not very expensive.
- It is very attractive and has a beautiful scent
- Resistant to decaying, rotting, and pests infestation
- Low maintenance cost compared to pressure-treated wood
- Available in different variants
- Requires finishing or staining every 4 years to maintain its beautiful appearance
- Expensive to buy
Though softwood does not last as long as hardwood, the low cost makes it a preferred choice for many deck owners. It is also easy to work with and if you want to complete your deck in no time, this is a great choice. It is important to remember, however, that most softwoods require a lot of maintenance to make them retain their appeal and last longer.
Hardwood, on the other hand, is expensive to buy but will last longer looking beautiful. With time, you’ll need to refinish the hardwood as it is subject to fading. If you are able to follow the right procedure in taking care of your deck, you will have a beautiful deck for a very long time. If you are not sure of the right type of deck wood in Ogden Utah, talk to your handyman and he will help you to choose.