But what happens if you install substandard drywall? When you start getting sick or things start going wrong without knowing the root cause?
Here are signs that your drywall installation is bringing toxins into your home
If your home smells like rotten eggs
Any time you notice an unusual smell in your home that feels like rotten eggs, invite a handyman to check things out.
Pipes turning black or appearing corroded
Though there are many aspects that could make the pipes turn black or appear corroded, contaminated drywall could be the cause. To rule this out, you’ll need to invite a handyman to carry out more tests.
However, if you notice that your electric appliances and your health have also been affected, you don’t need further evidence. Do not ignore if you notice that the metallic items protruding from your wall or within your wall are turning black.
Malfunctioning of electric appliances
If you notice a regular malfunctioning of your electric appliances without any known cause, your drywall could be the cause. Some people have reported a complete failure of their household appliances almost at the same time. Here are some of the appliances that may be ruined by installing the wrong drywall:
- Main HVAC evaporator coils
- Video game system
If you cannot tell why such appliances are not working, it is time to call a handyman to inspect the drywall on your behalf.
Some people have reported suffering from various health issues almost immediately after install the wrong drywall in their home. Here are some of these health issues:
- Irritated or itchy eyes
- Irritation of the skin
- Unceasing cough
- Runny nose
- Asthma attack
- Sinus infection
- Continuous headache
- Bloody nose
- Difficulty breathing
There has not been scientific proof that most of these health issues are linked to installing contaminated drywall. However, most of the people claim that any time they are away from their home the signs disappear. When they get back to the house, the condition gets worse.
The best option in this, case is, to invite a handyman to inspect your drywall. He has been installing drywall for years and will know if you installed contaminated drywall. From his findings, he will advise you on the best course of action.
Do not put your life or that of your loved ones in danger by continuing to live within the walls of a contaminated drywall today.
It is heartbreaking to discover that a drywall you had paid a high price to install is the root cause of the problems in your home. Instead of increasing your home’s value, it is ruining everything you hold dear, including the health of your family.
The solution to a toxic Drywall
- Remove the drywall
If you’ll be able to remove the drywall, it would be the best solution. This will eliminate the problem from the cause and this way, you will reverse all the problems the drywall had caused. You can take your family to a safe place, and then invite a handyman to remove the drywall. This is an additional expenditure but considering the health of your loved ones is more important.
- Enhance your home’s ventilation: if you feel that removing your drywall is too drastic, you can try increasing the flow of fresh air into your home. With this, you will breath more of fresh air and less of the toxins that are emitted by the drywall.
If this does not work, the only solution would be to remove the drywall and install the right one.
- If the circuit breakers, switches or receptacles have been affected by the drywall, contact a handyman to remove them. The affected appliances can, however, not be removed and you have to look for a handyman to repair them.
- If you or a member of your family is suffering from health issues related to drywall installation, minimize any environmental factors that would worsen the condition. Some of these are tobacco smoke, strong odors, and harsh cleaners.
- You should also get a good air filter to ensure that dust and other irritants do not find their way into your home.
- Get medical help: this should have been the first point as you need to reverse the ailing health of your family before everything else. A trained physician will know the best remedy for ill health and will also offer advice on the best way to overcome the problem.
Remember that if it is the drywall that led to the illness, going back home without seeking a permanent solution will only worsen your health.
It is stressful to think that a drywall you invested a lot of money to install will be removed. You believed that you did not need to incur other expenditures as your house was complete and now this? These thoughts may lead to depression and will make your health worse.
If you find out that this is too much for you to cope with on your own, seek professional help. Look for a person who will help you to get off your depressed state so that you can move forward. It will not be easy but with the right people on your side, you will get through it.
To avoid such problems with your drywall, you need to seek advice from a professional handyman before installing the drywall. He knows the safest drywall for your home and the best installation methods. The extra cost you will pay to get a professional drywall installation cannot be compared to the health of your family.
If you are not financially able to install the drywall in the entire house all at once, you can do it in bits. You will make arrangements with the handyman to carry out the installations little by little. With this, you will not have to go through the pain of seeing your family suffer as a result of making the wrong choice of drywall.