After the intense piling up of snow on your deck during winter, your deck does not look too good. You need to stain it in preparation for the oncoming spring. However, choosing the best deck stain in Ogden Utah can be difficult especially if this is the first time you’ll use it.
To help you choose the best stain for your deck here are the various stain available in the market today
Clear Deck Stain
This is usually meant to make the deck water repellent and will not protect it from UV rays. This means that the stain will not do much to your deck as it will be negatively affected by the sun’s rays.
The stain will last for one year and you’ll then have to stain the deck again.
- Easy to apply
- The deck will retain its natural look
- Does not protect the deck against UV rays
- You have to stain the deck in a few months
Water-Based Deck Stain
With a water-based paint, the deck will stay in good condition for long as it will make the deck UV-resistant. It also has better color retention and will make the deck easier to clean.
- The stain will last longer
- The deck will have a better UV resistant
- It will make the deck easier to clean
- Hard to apply as it dries up very fast
- They do not penetrate into the wood as deep as oil-based paints do
- Can easily peel or wear off
Oil-Based Deck Stains
Oil-based deck stains are made from synthetic oils like Linseed Oil, Tung Oil, and Rosewood Oil, among others. You will take more time to apply this stain to ensure that it penetrated deep into the wood.
- Easier to apply than water-based stains
- Adhere easily to the wood and will not peel off
- The deck will have a more natural look
- The stain has a strong odor
- Takes longer to dry and cure
- There are some oils that will enhance mildew growth
- Some of the stains will darken over time
Solid dark Deck stain
This deck stain type looks like paint and once you apply it, the wood grain will no longer be visible. You can choose to use a water-based or an oil-based stain for your deck.
- It has great UV protection ability
- Your deck will last for up to 5 years without the need to stain it again
- It will cover the top part of the wood while the inner parts will remain the same.
- The wood will no longer be visible as the deck will look as though it has been painted
- Hard to apply
- It can easily peel
Semi-solid Deck stain
This stain type has high pigment content and will leave the deck slightly visible. You can either buy An oil-based or a water-based semi-solid stain.
- Protect your deck against UV rays
- Will provide protection to your deck for up to 4 years or less.
- The wood used in making the deck will be partly covered
- If you use water-based oil, it will not penetrate as deep as the oil based semi-solid stain.
Factors to Consider When Buying Deck Stain
- Age of the wood: if the deck wood is old, the best deck stain will be the semi-transparent stain. This will ensure that the aged wood will be covered by the stain leaving the deck looking better.
If you built the deck recently, you should use a transparent stain so that the beauty of the deck will remain visible. You’ll also be able to note if anything goes wrong with the deck.
- Ease of application: if you need to use the deck in the near future, use water-based paints as it will dry faster.
It is more difficult to apply an oil-based stain and even when you apply; it will take longer to dry.
If this is the first time you are applying a deck stain, you should apply a tinted stain as it is less messy when applying.
Benefits of getting a professional handyman to apply the deck stain
- If you want an amazing outcome: a handyman who has been applying deck stain for a long time knows the best stain for your deck. He will also know whether to use the oil-based stain or the water-based stain.
- To make the application faster: if you do not have experience in applying deck stains, you may apply wrongly and this will make the stain peel off.
If you get a professional there will be no risk of having the stain dry off before applying it.
- The deck stain will last a longer time without peeling off. This means you will not incur more costs in reapplying the deck’s stain.
When you go to buy a deck stain, you will see various samples of the available paints. When you get home, you discover that the outcome after applying on your deck is not the same as what you saw earlier.
It is important to take care of your deck before the winter season as it will make it more resistant to damage. Here are some of the steps you can take in preparation for the winter:
- Keep your deck clean: if you leave dirt and debris on your deck, the piling up of snow on your deck will tarnish your deck. You should remove the furniture on your deck, then power-wash it to get rid of the debris.
You should repeat the process severally until you are sure that there is no more debris on your deck
- Carry out all the necessary repairs before the winter comes: if there are any loose railings or any other damage, ask the handyman to carry out the repairs.
If you leave any damages un-repaired before the winter, the weight of the snow will make the damages worse. This will make the repairs more expensive after the winter.
Your deck should look good before and after the winter and this is only possible if you use the right stain. Ask your handyman to help you choose the best deck stain in Ogden Utah that will offer perfect protection for your deck.